HOW TO DO WELL IN A GROUP DISCUSSION
- Grab the opportunity to be the first speaker and to Introduce the topic. Keep a pre-prepaired 5 sentence – EXAMPLE – Good Morning friends. – Name the Topic. – This has been the center of discussion in many forums and it the media. This topic has great importance s in our lives and I am glad that we are discussing this today. As per my view – I believe that ———.
Now let us have the views of some of us.
- Listening carefully and look for a chance of butting in (Don’t do this too often).
- Agreeing with a person and elaborating it by giving an experience or examples
- Disagreeing & giving examples.
- Looking on both sides of a coin. Intervening to get a balanced view.
- Intervening during a conflict between 2 people fighting immaturely.
- Co-operating & leading.
- No cornering or making fun of participants
- Intervening & giving a chance to a timid participant.
- Giving examples & experiences
- If you did not get a chance to start the discussion then you must try Concluding (EXAMPLE –This has been an interesting discussion. We have got diverse views. It appears to be evenly balances and hence we need to make our individual choices —— not your own view, no final decision )
Personality Traits Gauged in Group Discussion
- Ability to interact in a team
- Communications Skills
- Reasoning ability.
- Leadership skills.
- Initiative & Enthusiasm.
- Nurturing & Coaching Ability.
- Ability to think in ones feet.